[Samba] setting a printer driver problem.

Benjamin Herbert herbert at isis.visi.com
Tue Oct 1 20:35:01 GMT 2002

I am having a problem setting a printer driver for and existing printer on
a windows client.  I have a cups (1.1.15-6) server running on a redhat 7.2
machine.  I added a printer with the web admin tool.  I set up samba
(2.2.5) on this server as well.  These are how my shares are set up:

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /etc/samba/drivers
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   read only = yes
   write list = $ntadmin,root

/etc/samba/drivers/W32X36 exists and is completely open.

When I log onto a WindowsNT client and browse to \\samba-server and go
into the printers folder I can see the printer that I set up with cups.  I
enter the properties and choose "New Driver" to upload the driver to the
samba server.  When I choose the correct driver from the list it start to
copy but errors out because it is looking for a somthing.DLL file.  I do a
search for it and find it in c:\winnt\system32.  I click ok and this file
copys fine but the next file is where I am having a problem.  The next
file it wants to copy is PSCRIPT.DL_.  I do a search for this file and
find it in c:\ntw32k\i386.  When I choose this it says that it cant
perform the copy because the file is not in that location.  But I know
that it is.  Is this even the right way to do what I am trying to do
(trying to set a windows driver for a cups printer)?  Does anybody have
any ideas.

I have used cupsadsmb, which added the drivers fine, but the printers
still errored out trying to print.  So I'm trying to add the drivers
without using cupsaddsmb.

Thanks for your time.

-Ben