[Samba] file permission problem

Justin Georgeson jgeorgeson at unboundtech.com
Tue Oct 1 17:41:01 GMT 2002

I have Samba 2.2.1a installed on RedHat 7.2, using RedHat's rev 4 RPMs
(samba-common, samba-client, samba, and samba-swat 2.2.1a-4). I have the
PDC part working. But there is one file share giving me problems. I have
a folder, /export0, which I want all the domain users to be able to use.
I have a group, unboundtech, which all the domain users are a member of.
The /export0 is owned by root:unboundtech, with mode 775. The folders
under this one which they can write to are the same (group is
unboundtech, mode is 775). Users can create files/folders, but they
can't change the permissions on them (for example, to let other people
modify them). In some cases, I also want to have folders in /export0
which are owned by another group which is a subset of the domain users.
I'm having the same problems here. I create a folder owned by the group
in question, and group writeable. Members of the group can write folders
to it (I haven't checked if non-group members can), but they can't
change the permissions.

Can services be subpaths of existing services? like
[/some/folder]

[/some/folder/beneath]

That way I could maybe force a particular group ownership for different
sub trees.

--
Justin Georgeson
UnBound Technologies, Inc.

5295 Hollister Road
Houston, TX 77040
Real Applications using Real Wireless Intelligence(tm)