[Samba] PAM - Winbind help needed.

Gareth Davies gdavies at willowbrook.co.uk
Tue Oct 1 14:29:01 GMT 2002

Thanks to all the info I've gathered that people have posted here I've got a
lot further and can now login to the local machine using a Domain account :)

I'm still having problems with PAM though, no pam.d/samba file was created
on installation, I did install with-pam and the login part of pam works with
pam_winbind.so, but when I change the obey pam restrictions to yes I get
prompted when trying to access even Public and Temp shares. I am trying to
get this to work so I can utilise the pam_mkhomedir.so to autocreate the
home directories for users. Without the pam option enabled I can access
things fine and login through SSH using DOMAIN+user.

I have tried a couple of different pam.d/samba files including these:

# /etc/pam.d/samba
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required pam_nologin.so
auth    required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/sambaskel umask=0022
# /etc/sambaskel is a dir I made specific for homedirs for domain users
session    required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required pam_stack.so service=system-auth

And

auth required pam_winbind.so
auth required pam_pwdb.so nullok shadow
account required pam_winbind.so
account required pam_pwdb.so

I'm probably doing something really basic wrong, but I'm so close to getting
this right now.

I'm using Debian 3.0 and Samba 2.2.5.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Shaolin - IT Systems