[Samba] Re: smbd crashing machine

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Sat Nov 30 12:55:01 GMT 2002

>At some point the machine crashes with an entry
>as above and the only way to recover is to do a
>hard shutdown (ouch!)

Since it is a multiprocessor industry-grade server you are
using, my tip might be irrelevant for your case but here we
go anyways:

smbd activities crashed my Siemens-Fujitsu P4/2GHz i845
chipset reliably though at unpredictable intervals between
a couple of hours and a full day and a half until I
reinstalled my SuSE 8.1 on a SCSI disk. The IDE DMA in
some chipsets has a quirk which is not properly accounted
for, in kernel 2.4.19 for example, leading instead to
kernel panic and system freeze (sometimes caps-lock and
scroll-lock LEDs blink when it happens but not always).

If your system disk is SCSI to begin with then you can
ignore my posting.