[Samba] Version 2.2.6 and above are not able to store big files over 2GB

Jim Morris Jim at Morris-World.com
Fri Nov 29 17:27:01 GMT 2002

On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 10:09  AM, Klaus Ethgen wrote:

> when I store a file biger than 2GB to a samba server version 2.2.5
> everythink works fine. But when I do that with a server version 2.2.6
> or
> 2.2.7 the saving fails on the 2GB limit. The problem can be seen with
> windowsclients or with smbclient (any version > 2.2.5).
>
> I did some debuging and find that the lseek64 fails. But I didn't find
> the
> reason.

Is this on the same exact server, and on the same server filesystem?  I
ask, because on Linux at least, some of the native filesystem types
still have a 2GB file size limit.  My recent experience is that ext2
and ext3 still have a 2GB filesize limit by default.  On the other
hand, ReiserFS does not, since version 3.5.x.

Just something to consider..... it may be a Samba bug, but if the
lseek64() fails, it would seem to lie in the filesystem....

  --
Jim Morris (Jim at Morris-World.com)