[Samba] Configuration

Gareth Davies gdavies at willowbrook.co.uk
Fri Nov 29 15:01:01 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Achim Brand" <A.Brand at wika.de>
To: <samba at samba.org>
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 1:10 PM
Subject: [Samba] Configuration

> Hello,
>
> I need help on configuring using SAMBA in a W2k - Domain.
> Can anybody send me a "smb.conf"-file?
> And can anybody explain me how can i set file-/folder-access-rights
> through my PDC / Domain?

Using Winbind, chmod, chown and ACL's (if required).

> Can I use the Domain - Users to set the rights or have I to use the
> UNIX - Users to set the rights for my files on the SAMBA-Server?

Yes you can use Domain user rights see below.

> I hope anybody can help me :-) (and can understand what i mean)!!
>
> It's xtreme urgent!
>
> Regards,
>
> Achim Brand
> - Germany -
> --

Hi Achim

Please read the following:

http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249

Follow this through all the way:
http://samba.mirror.ac.uk/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html

Pay special attention to the winbind sections.

You also need to look into ACL implementation on your filesystem.

Also check out man winbindd and man smb.conf

That should give you enough to chew on.

HTH
             Shaolin - IT Systems
                     WB Ltd.