[Samba] system error 64, win xp and samba

mlh at zip.com.au mlh at zip.com.au
Fri Nov 29 04:46:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 04:59:42PM +0000, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, mlh wrote:
>

> > Just so that it gets into the archives for
> > future googlers:
> >
> > If you get 'system error 64' on a windows xp
> > machine trying to connect to samba, then
> > make sure you have nothing running on port 445.
> >
> > I had an apache ssl instance running on that port.
>
> Really? The well known port for that is 443.

Yeah, I know.   I have a whole bunch of apache servers,
of potentially different versions, hence different ports.
(rather than use virtual servers)
The first uses 80+443, the second 81+444, the third ... well
you can guess :-)

> > Doh!  Had to scratch my head a bit over it.
> >
> > XP doesn't actually need anything to be on 445,
> > it just gets confused and gives up if there is.
>
> Port 445 is the port Win2K and WinXP use for netbiosless SMB.
> It is the correct well known TCP port that Microsoft have registered for
> the purpose.

Does any present or future Samba plan to use it too?
(I presume the answer is yes for future, but I think
no for the present.?)

Matt
PS.  I may go to virtual ips for my multiple apaches
but that's enough on apache for this list.