[Samba] Connection to a Remote XP Box

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Fri Nov 29 03:48:01 GMT 2002

As I recall your error was called name not present, yes?

I am not sure what is doing this.

To troubleshoot this, I would make sure that your host resolution is working
right. The parameter:
[global]
	name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast hosts
determines how things are looked up.
lmhosts = lmhosts file on your linux box
wins  = use wins server
bcast = broadcast
hosts = use host lookup. Will check /etc/hosts, then your DNS.

The default order, as listed in loadparam.c, seems to be:
string_set(&Globals.szNameResolveOrder, "lmhosts host wins bcast");
(Yes, host and hosts both seem to work, dunno.)

Edit smb.conf, and use just one method at a time, eg:
       name resolve order = wins
smbclient will only try the wins server with this options specified.
You might be able to track down where the error is coming from.

You don't have to restart smbd after you make these changes.

My suspicion is that one of the methods of lookup is returning wrong data.

Joel