[Samba] samba-2.2.7-1.7.3 & Win XP home vs Pro?

David F. Reed davereed at W5SV.ORG
Thu Nov 28 18:03:00 GMT 2002

Many thanks all for the help with the printer hookup
problem.

I can now print and use drives/shares on my samba server
from my XP-home edition just fine.

My problem now I think is a windows problem, but some of
you have probably seen this or know how to avoid it in
any case.

My XP-Professional boxes seem unable to "find" my
samba server for either network drives or printer.

I note the following, hoping it might help you to help me.

Hosts    -       OS
---------------------------------
david    - RedHat Linux 7.3 (samba server)
dfr      - XP - Home Edition
fu       - XP - Home Edition
armando  - XP - Professional Edition
aichingf - XP - Professional Edition

[root at david root]# nmblookup david
querying david on 192.168.131.255
192.168.131.124 david<00>

[root at david root]# nmblookup dfr
querying dfr on 192.168.131.255
192.168.131.121 dfr<00>

[root at david root]# nmblookup fu
querying fu on 192.168.131.255
192.168.131.125 fu<00>

[root at david root]# nmblookup armando
querying armando on 192.168.131.255
querying armando on 192.168.130.255
name_query failed to find name armando

[root at david root]# nmblookup aichingf
querying aichingf on 192.168.131.255
querying aichingf on 192.168.130.255
name_query failed to find name aichingf

Many thanks for your help.