[Samba] Problem authenticating against a W2K server

Ingimar Robertsson iar at skyrr.is
Thu Nov 28 11:31:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:30:17AM -0000, Gareth Davies wrote:
> From: "Ingimar Robertsson" <iar at skyrr.is>
> > I'm having a problem letting a Samba server (MYSAMBA) authenticate users
> > (using "security = domain" and a "password server = MYPDC") against a
> > Windows 2000 PDC (MYPDC).  The Windows 2000 machine seems (I'm not 100%
> <snip>
>
> Add the machine to the domain on the Win2k PDC using AD.
>
> Then smbpasswd -j DOMAINNAME -r PDCIP -U Administrator%password
>
> Then wbinfo -A Administrator%password
>
> Then it should work fine.
>
> I'm kinda getting tired of this, can't we redo the docs for Winbind LOL

I agree.  I had already stumbled upon this -A switch to wbinfo and then
read the winbindd man file and it states: "winbindd is a daemon that
provides a service for the Name Service Switch capability that is present
in most modern C libraries."  This sounded to far from what I was trying
to do. :-)

I'll try setting up the winbindd and using wbinfo -A.  Thanks for the help!

Best regards,

Ingimar

Ingimar Robertsson, Systems Administrator       EMAIL: iar at skyrr.is
Skyrr Ltd, Iceland Information Management       TEL:   +354-5695100
Armuli 2, 108 Reykjavik, ICELAND                FAX:   +354-5695128
            http://www.skyrr.is/legal/disclaimer.txt