AW: [Samba] "attrib +R myowndir" fails to write-protect my own dir

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at t-online.de
Thu Nov 28 10:44:01 GMT 2002

Hi Jeremy,

I'll look up "dosmode.c" and shall try to define a patch proposal
for either "dos filemode" or "overrule readonly dirs".

But how does your reply explain the effect of "inherit permissions"?

If you recall, with inheritance enabled regular files can have A, H
and R flag set and cleared whereas disabling inheritance disables A
and H flags for them leaving only R-flag manipulable.

Any clue?

I'm flabbergasted at the quantity of queries you and your
colleagues manage to process on a daily basis. My present thread is
actually a second attempt at drawing your attention to the fact
that compliance with M$ quirks and kinks is not something to be
ashamed of but rather reason to be proud. The abidance by the POSIX
rules should not stand in the way of the usefulness of such a nice
suite as Samba. Samba penetration is at stake. My latest
installation runs like a scream, reduces network traffic and WINS
queries to adjacent domains but it gets bad-mouthed for the failure
to replicate write-protected directory properly across logins, as I
reported in an ignored mail just a day earlier. Not a big deal, but
sufficient to stall the plans to extend the domain of Samba
influence to something like 50-60 thousand other clients in this
enterprise.

Of course, clueless admins are even greater source of frustration.
So can you skim that earlier post of mine headed '"Special" link
folders - Readonly attrib', Tue Nov 26 20:53:28 2002, and compose
a terse flame bait?

Dragan