[Samba] libnss on solaris

Terry kewl at compfort.pl
Thu Nov 28 09:25:01 GMT 2002

Hello,

> > have you ever made nss_wins work on solaris ?
>
> No. But others have. This WINS support library was built on Solaris.
could you please give me a contact to such a person ?

from nsswitch/README: This extension provides a "wins" module for NSS on glibc2/Linux.

> Make sure that you rename nss_wins.so to libnss_wins.so and
> set links
> accordingly.
I did, as I wrote in previous email.

> Also, please check Solaris documentation to find how to
> bind dynamic link
> libaries so that solaris can find them. Do you have an
> /etc/ld.so.conf
> file? Maybe it is in /etc/system.{cnf,conf}. I used to run
> Solaris X86 and
> vaguely remember a file like it.

i checked the docs and without any tweaking libraries are searched
for in /usr/lib. you can change it with crle command, but in this case
i dont think it needs any changes.

> Also, what happens it you have in your /etc/nsswitch.conf?
>
> hosts: wins dns file,  ie: wins first.
i tried even hosts: wins only, with no luck :(

> Please show command failure output.
bash-2.05# ping cww
ping: unknown host cww

i have also ran snoop (sun's network sniffer) and if i do a ping
i cant see any broadcasts nor wins traffic... so i guess
that nss library is not even touched :(

how can i debug it ? truss doesnt show anything useful :|

i need it badly,

terry