[Samba] "attrib +R myowndir" fails to write-protect my own dir

Saulius Gurklys sagu at isl.vtu.lt
Thu Nov 28 07:32:00 GMT 2002

jra at dp.samba.org wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:33:11PM +0100, Dragan Krnic wrote:
>> I'm so glad there are kind souls at this time of night. Wait, it might
>> be day at your place. Good day!
>
> Yep, it's 1:30 in the afternoon here in California :-).
>
>> I don't see a contradiction in setting Readonly flag on one's own
>> directories and then creating files in them anyways. It's very much
>> like any overruling root privilege. It's just a flag, Jeremy, it's
>> not our saviour's gospel. Bill knows we don't march over dead bodies
>> and he's taking unfair advantage of it.
>>
>> I propose a new smb.conf feature for 3.0:
>>
>>    [homes & especially profiles]
>>       overrule readonly dirs = Yes/No
>>
>> Default is "No", but in exceptional cases, like on almost every samba
>> server, it may be enabled to write into one's own write-protected directories, salvation be damned.
>
> The flag "dos filemode" is usually used for this purpose, I'll
> investigate using it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	Jeremy.

Does this flag work for directories too ?
Acctualy it does NOT work for me. With files is everything OK.
If file is owned by other user, but my user belongs to group which has
write access, I can change file atributes.

attrib -R file_on_samba.txt

But it does not work with directories... !

attrib -R dir_on_samba
Access denied - dir_on_samba

Is it a bug?

--