[Samba] Foxpro configuration

Jim Morris Jim at Morris-World.com
Thu Nov 28 05:14:01 GMT 2002

On Wednesday, November 27, 2002, at 09:53  PM, Sascha Wüst wrote:

> could someone please give me the correct entries for using Foxpro with
> samba share. I tried everything I can think of in the smb.conf but I am
> always confronted with locking problems and multiuser issues:

Let me take a stab at helping you.  I have had many years of running
XBase applications on Samba file servers - we have Clipper, dBASE and
32-bit Windows applications developed using the Borland Database Engine
(BDE), and Codebase.  dBASE should be pretty much the same as Foxpro
for locking issues, since most of the locking is defined in the DBF
file format.

Ok - to comment on your smb.conf options....

> oplocks=off

Don't do this on a global basis, unless FoxPro database files are the
only thing on the server. Leave oplocks at their defaults for Samba
2.2.x, and turn off oplocks selectively for your FoxPro files under
each share's settings in smb.conf, using the 'veto oplocks' option.
Here's an example:

[data]
   comment = Database Storage
   veto oplock files = /*.DBF/*.dbf/*.MDX/*.mdx/*.NDX/*.ndx/

> lock spin count = 3
> lock spin time = 25

I have never changes those options from their defaults. I don't think
these are your problem.

> locking=yes

In addition to this, I would add:

strict locking = yes

Strict locking will enforce file locks even if the client is a 'poorly
written' one that does not check for locks properly.

Other settings to check are to make sure you have not turned off things
like 'share modes', which are crucial for most DOS and Windows apps to
work properly when sharing files.....

Let me know if any of this helps.

  --
Jim Morris (Jim at Morris-World.com)