[Samba] Printing problem

Jean-Francois Pelletier jf at heartsome.net
Thu Nov 28 05:08:15 GMT 2002

Hi,

First of all, thanks for all the replies that I got a couple of weeks
ago about another question; it really helped me understanding the issue.

Now I'm installing a printer on my Linux server (RH 7.3 with Samba
2.2.6); I can print from my Linux computer, and even see the printer
from my XP computer, but I can't print from XP.

Here's my smb.conf:

[global]
	netbios name = Maggie
	security = share
	printing = bsd
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	load printers = yes
[public]
	path = /usr/public
	browseable = yes
	guest ok = yes
	read only = no
[printers]
	comment = Brother HL-1650
	security = share
	path = /var/spool/lpd/Brother_HL-1650
	browseable = no
	public = yes
	guest ok = yes
	writable = no
	printable = yes
	use client driver = yes

Like I said, from the Linux server, everything is OK and I can print.
When I go to my XP computer, and I click "Add a printer", XP can find my
printer by browsing the network, and the installation is without any
glitches. I can see the printer properties but when I try to print the
test page, I got an error message: "Test page failed to print.". If I
try to print from WordPad, it says that it's printing for a fraction of
a second, but then says also "Unable to print".

Thanks in advance!

Jean-Francois Pelletier