[Samba] Samba share is not writeable

James jhall at jadeinternet.net
Thu Nov 28 01:29:12 GMT 2002

I am having difficulty with Windows shares mounted with smb on my linux
machine. The mount directory will not have write permissions for anyone,
no matter what. The mount directory that I use is /home/samba. It has
0700, or drwx------ permissions when it is not connected to Samba. It is
owned by the user jhall, and the group root. When I mount it, if I use
dmask 0777, I get dr-xr-xr-x. If I use dmask 0700, I get dr-x------, and
so on. The subdirectories have the proper dmask, and thus are writeable.

The shared directory on my Win XP Pro box is SharedDocs, and jhall has
full permissions in this directory.

Below is an example of my shell commands and subsequent output:

[root at laptop jhall]# ls -l /home
##See that the dir samba is writable by jhall
drwx------   37 jhall    users        4096 Nov 27 19:42 jhall
drwx------    2 jhall    users        4096 Nov 27 11:09 samba
drwx------   21 stephie  stephie      4096 Nov 27 14:58 stephie

##This is how I mount the share
[root at laptop jhall]# mount -t smbfs -o
user=jhall,uid=jhall,gid=root,dmask=0700,fmask=0777 //desktop/SharedDocs
/home/samba
Password:

[root at laptop jhall]# ls -l /home
##Now it is mounted, and I can read and execute everything that
##is on my shared windows directory, but can only write things that
##are in a subdirectory, because they have the proper dmask of 0700
##I am logged in as jhall when I try to write to the directory.
drwx------   37 jhall    users        4096 Nov 27 19:42 jhall
dr-x------    1 jhall    root         4096 Nov 24 11:54 samba
drwx------   21 stephie  stephie      4096 Nov 27 14:58 stephie

[root at laptop jhall]# smbumount /home/samba
##I unmount the directory

[root at laptop jhall]# ls -l /home
##And again have write permission
drwx------   37 jhall    users        4096 Nov 27 19:42 jhall
drwx------    2 jhall    users        4096 Nov 27 11:09 samba
drwx------   21 stephie  stephie      4096 Nov 27 14:58 stephie

I hope that this is enough information. Any help is appreciated!