[Samba] Samba printer questions

David F. Reed davereed at W5SV.ORG
Wed Nov 27 19:38:04 GMT 2002

Greetings Samba users;

I am new to this, and find it a bit complex and am hoping
to find a bit of help figuring this out...

I am running samba-2.2.7-1.7.3 on a RH-linux 7.3 system.

The file shares seem to work fine on a XP Home Edition,
but not a XP Professional edition.

Additionally, I am having trouble setting up a shared printer.
The laptop running XP home edition sees the printer but cannot
print to it; (the box running XP pro fails to see it at all.

I am trying to use the same printer I have as a local printer,
an HP LJ-1200 - it works fine as a local printer, and it shows
up in /etc/printcap as expected.

In setting the share for the printer, I set the printer name as
scribble (same as share name), the print queue to
/var/spool/lpd/scribble (same as set by printcap),
printable to all users.

When I try to add a printer from my laptop xp home edition box,
it does find the printer, lets me add the driver for it, and it
shows up as a printer, but it shows the "access denied, unable
to connect" message and refuses (appropriately I suppose) to
print to it.

Meanwhile, the box running XP pro fails to see it at all.

Anyone out there with some clues that might help me get it running?

Thanks

--
Dave
David F. Reed -> email: W5SV at arrl.net