[Samba] Hiding shares and/or their contents from Windows Explorer

Darin DeCounter ddecounter at reviewjournal.com
Wed Nov 27 18:56:01 GMT 2002

Is anyone of aware of any known problems with Samba 2.2.2 and Windows 95,
dealing with hiding shares and/or their content from Windows Explorer?  We
need to map these shares so our application can function properly...but the
shares and/or their content should never be accessible via Windows
Explorer.  We have browseable = no for the shares.  We also tried the
"hide"option, but the user can simply change Windows Explorer setting to
view hidden files.  It was suggested we consider poledit, but the option to
hide drives is "all or nothing", meaning we'd have to hide C drive too
(which we don't want).  I looked into TweakUI, but the changes are only
temporary and reset to original setting after restarting Windows 95.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.   Thanks.