[Samba] Domain Admins?

Wyatt L. VanderStucken wyatt at wylovan.myserver.org
Wed Nov 27 18:20:01 GMT 2002

Hello all,

Let me say first I'm very new to Linux (only had it running 3 days), so
bear with me if I'm a bit ignorant. I'm unsure if I should even post
this here, or if this list is exclusively for hardware issues...

I'm running into difficulties (on a win2k client) adding the Samba
"Domain Admins" group to the Windows "Administrators" group. I am able
to log into the domain, the "Domain Admins" group shows in the list of
available groups from the Samba server, but when I click "Apply" I
receive the message:

"A member could not be added to or removed from the local group because
the member does not exist"

I'm fairly certain I followed the setup correctly; I added a group
called "domadm" to the etc/group file and added a user to that group
using usermod. I've tried several configurations in smb.conf with
"domain admin group" and "domain admin users" including:

1. domain admin group = @domadm

2. domain admin group = root @domadm

3. domain admin group = @domadm
   domain admin users = root

For the record I'm it's a brand new "stable" installation on a Performa
6400/180, the Windows machine is running win2k professional with all
updates from windows update. I doubt that hardware makes a difference,
but if you need to know, ask.

Sorry if this has been long winded, I appreciate any help anybody can
offer. Lastly, let me say I'm very impressed by Debian, and Linux as a
whole. I look forward to learning much more, and hope I can soon make my
own contributions...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wyatt