[Samba] libnss on solaris

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Nov 27 17:31:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Terry wrote:

> Hello again,

> > > i added this to [global] section and it didnt help :(
> > >
> > > what else can i do ?
> >
> > Please tell us what did happen? We are not clairvoyant!
>
> after i configured everything up i just run: ping host
> that is in my ms network - visible and reachable for sure.
> i can ping it from any ms machine and also use samba's nmblookup to look it up.
>

> > Also, I think you may want in /lib
> >
> > libnss_wins.so -> libnss_wins.so.1
> > libnss_wins.so -> libnss_wins.so.2
>
> i linked even more: :)
>
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         11 Nov 27 17:53 libnss_wins.so.1 -> nss_wins.so
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         11 Nov 27 17:53 libnss_wins.so.2 -> nss_wins.so
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     811751 Oct 17 09:26 nss_wins.so
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         11 Nov 27 17:53 nss_wins.so.1 -> nss_wins.so
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         11 Nov 27 17:53 nss_wins.so.2 -> nss_wins.so
>
> > Also, you must run ldconfig (or whatever the equivalent
> > command is on your
> > system) so that the dynamic linker registers the library.
>
> I dont know of anything like that on solaris. from ld.so.1 manual it seems that
> there is no such tool.
>
> have you ever made nss_wins work on solaris ?

No. But others have. This WINS support library was built on Solaris.

Make sure that you rename nss_wins.so to libnss_wins.so and set links
accordingly.

Also, please check Solaris documentation to find how to bind dynamic link
libaries so that solaris can find them. Do you have an /etc/ld.so.conf
file? Maybe it is in /etc/system.{cnf,conf}. I used to run Solaris X86 and
vaguely remember a file like it.

Also, what happens it you have in your /etc/nsswitch.conf?

hosts: wins dns file,  ie: wins first.

Please show command failure output.

- John T.
--