[Samba] Samba 3.0 alpha21 released

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Nov 27 16:12:33 GMT 2002

Sylvestre Taburet wrote:
> Le Mercredi 27 Novembre 2002 16:45, Gerald (Jerry) Carter a écrit :
>
>>On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 daniel.jarboe at custserv.com wrote:
>>
>>>And what about side-by-side installations?  Having both versions
>>>installed... so I can run 3.x for a bit, stop it, and turn 2.x smbd back
>>>on if needed?  I heard this was the case in tarball installation, but is
>>>this supported by the RPM?
>>
>>The 3.0alphaX RPMs will overwrite a 2.2.x RPM.  Downgrading is not
>>supported as some TDB's will be upgraded to a newer format
>>that would be unrecognized by 2.2.x.
>>

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mandrake Linux contrib
samba-3.0alpha20 RPM
> was designed specifically to allow testers to keep their existing 2.2.X
> version and try 3.0alpha20 (everything installed in /opt, /etc/samba3,
> /var/lib/samba3...)

That's correct, except I think I managed to stay out of /opt.

Unfortunately one of the final changes to alpha21 broke the building of
RPMS on Mandrake, so I am currently fixing the patch, RPMs are thus
delayed until tomorrow at least.

Under Mandrake 9.0 with the post-alpha20 CVS RPMs here:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/samba-3-alpha/9.0/

(AFAICR) the binaries all have suffixes of 3, so smbd in this package is
smbd3. Configs are in /etc/samba3. Logs in /var/log/samba3 etc. This is
definitely the case with the RPMS in Mandrake cooker, and will be the
case with the alpha21 RPMs as soon as I am done with them.

No migration of configs are done (since I wouldn't trust it myself, and
haven't had time to attempt, let alone test this), so samba3 will have
absolutely no impact on your existing config. Just (after copying your
configs):

# service smb stop && service smb3 start

to try samba3, and:
# service smb3 stop && service smb start

to revert.

If you have multiple interfaces, you could even run them simultaneously,
but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

Maybe I will get around to fixing configure.in to support
- --program-suffix so that this could be available more easily on other
distros.

Regards,
Buchan

- --