[Samba] Samba 3.0 - User Changing His/Her Passwords

Irving Carrion icarrion at allinterior.com
Wed Nov 27 15:25:01 GMT 2002

Hello all!

We recently upgraded from Samba 2.2.3 to Samba 2.999+3.0.alpha20-3 on
debian 3.0.  Ever since then users are unable to change their own
passwords on their W2k machine.  What happens is when they try to change
it a process (passwd) gets stuck with the users name.  The only way to
fix this is to kill the passwd process the user started.  I haven't
changed the "passwd chat" script at all and it worked in 2.2.3.  I use
the following command:

passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .

I've checked the logs but find nothing relevant to my eyes.  Is this a
bug in this 3.0 version or have I missed something in the man pages.
I've included my smb.conf file below.

P.S.  Also, would really appreciate anyone on the list who uses
debian/samba3.0 that wishes to share their smb.conf file.  There are
many things that don't work for me like renaming computer accounts
(using W2k GUI).  I'm pretty sure it is something I did incorrectly or
the lack of something.

Really appreciate any help on this subject.

Thanks!
IRV

#SMB.CONF

[global]
        workgroup = W2KDOMAIN
        netbios name = SAMBA
        bind interfaces only = yes
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = true
        passdb backend = tdbsam unixsam
        guest account = www-data
        guest ok = yes
        null passwords = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat debug = yes
        #debuglevel = 3
        non unix account range = 10000-20000
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .

        unix password sync = Yes
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        name cache timeout = 0

        #add user script = /usr/local/samba/bin/add_user %u
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/adduser %u %g
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u %g
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
        delete user script = /etc/samba/scripts/del_user %u

        admin users = root administrator ealfert icarrion @domainadmins
        #add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g %u %u
        logon script = logonscript.bat
        logon path =
        logon home =
        logon drive =