[Samba] Samaba 2.2.7 and windows printer driver woes

Robert M. Martel bob at urban.csuohio.edu
Wed Nov 27 13:27:00 GMT 2002

Greetings, all,

I have a fresh install of Samba 2.2.7 on a Solaris 9 machine.  Stand alone, not
part of a domain.  Testing with a stand alone Windows 2000 professional client
with service pack 3 installed.

I am having problems setting defaults for the installed printer drivers and I
have been unable to load Win98 drivers to go along with the W2k drivers.

Printers being tested are an HP LJ 4000n  and an HP LJ 8150 using latest
postscript drivers from HP's website.

When I install the W2K drivers and set the options for each printer, only users
in the printer admin group see the customized settings.  Normal users only see
the default settings that the driver originally installed, not the ones I edited
(such as duplex installed, additional papertrays and output trays, and
paper/tray assignment.)  The normal users are also unable to alter these
settings as they are all greyed out.

Attempts at loading the drivers for Win98 either fail right away with a "The
printer driver you selected is either not compatible with your current version
of Windows, or it may not be available.  Select a compatible driver from the
list, or contact your system administrator for help." error message, or proceed
past the steps for loading the Win98 driver, but then finish with an "Unable to
Install Intel, Windows 95 or 98 driver.  Operation could not be completed."
error message.

I am also seeing messages of the form:
"rpc_server/srv_spoolss_nt.c:_spoolss_addform (7180)  _spoolss_addform: denied
handle permissions" in the smb log for the w2k client I am using.

I have been seeing this problem since 2.2.4, and my print server is still
running 2.2.3a because that is the most recent version that has worked for us in
a correct manner.

I've been over the mailing list archives, but not seen an answer to this issue.

So in summary, customized Windows 2k driver settings available only to printer
admin users.  Normal users only see "stock" settings and cannot change them.
Unable to load Windows 98 drivers at all.

Is this *supposed* to work in samba versions greater than 2.2.3a?  Repeated
fresh installs of Samba on the test server have yielded the same results.

Thanks!
-Bob Martel

 Speaking only for myself - CSU pays better people than me to speak for them.

 Bob Martel - System Administrator              | I met someone who looks
 Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs  |    a lot like you
 Cleveland State University                     | She does the things you do
 (216) 687-2214                                 |    But she is an IBM
 bob at urban.csuohio.edu                          |              -Jeff Lynne