[Samba] Setting up Red Hat machine on a windows network

mark lists at xinot.net
Wed Nov 27 12:18:00 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 11:09, Kerr Seamus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am setting up a red hat machine on a windows network and i am wondering
> if the samba application needs to be installed onto the server or weather I
> would get away with it being installed on the local machine only.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> seamus.
errr,
If the server is a windows machine, then you don't (can't, I think) need to
install samba.  Windows comes with these abilities built in.  If the server
is a *nix machine and you want it to be able to serve files or validate
logins for the windows machines, you will need to install samba.

If the local machine (The redhat one I assume) will be serving files to the
rest of the network, you will need to install the samba packages.  I'm not
sure how RH splits them up, but I believe there is a client package and a
server package as well as others (development, etc.).  You will only need to
install the client package (well, and IT'S dependencies) if you want to
access the windows machines.

I hope that answered you question.

mark