[Samba] printer list from cups without restart?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Nov 27 10:35:00 GMT 2002

Martin Zielinski wrote on Samba-digest:

Message: 19
From: Martin Zielinski <mz at seh.de>
To: samba at lists.samba.org Subject:
Re: [Samba] printer list from cups without restart?
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:00:29 +0100

Hallo Kurt and all, sending SIGHUP to *all* smbd processses works.
(using samba 2.2.6)
bye,
Martin

Thank you Martin,

The "*all*" is probably the key to *one* (small) part of the problem.
(However, I can't test and verify this at the present time).

But the main part of the problem still remains: The Windows
clients don't get the updated printer list automatically, not even
after a long time of waiting. They can't send a SIGHUP to all
smbd processes.

Using "Update View" ("Ansicht aktualisieren") from the client *does*
spawn a lot of activity in the log.smbd; the "Printer Folder" window
(the one where you access the Samba host via Network Neighbourhood)
goes blank and rebuilds after a few seconds  --  but still shows the
"old" list....

So, as a Samba admin, do I have to remember to send SIGHUP manually
to all smbd processes, after every single deletion or addition a
(CUPS) printer, to make sure my users have an uptodate view? Is this
by design? Or is it a shortcoming? Or a bug?

Cheers,
Kurt

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 23:22, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

 > > Message: 17
 > > Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:41:51 +0100
 > > From: Holger Krull <holger.krull at hermos.com>
 > > To: samba at lists.samba.org
 > > Subject: Re: [Samba] printer list from cups without restart?
 > >
 > > I found it.
 > >
 > > Holger Krull schrieb:
 > >> Hi,
 > >>
 > >> while using cups as a print system and sharing all the printers with
 > >> samba to windows clients, is it possible to 'view' a newly created
 > >> printer in the browse list without restarting smbd ? (samba 2.2.7)
 > >>
 > >> Holger
 >
 > Hi, Holger,
 >
 > would you please share your secret with me?
 >
 > How *do* you update the view onto printers from Windows clients
 > without restarting Samba?
 >
 > For me it doesn't work since I noticed it a few months ago.
 > Before that, I didn't notice, because I re-started smbd very often
 > anyway (due to my experiments).
 >
 > I am using a range of CUPS versions (up to current CVS)
 > and Samba up to 2.2.6. Windows clients are NT, 2K and XP
 > -- none of the combinations worked.
 >
 > My "printcap" is updated immediately following the deletion
 > or creation of a printqueue (I have more than ~30 regularly
 > -- IIIRC I never tried it with a smaller number of queues...)
 >
 > Even "rpcclient --> enumprinters" doesn't show an update...
 >
 > What is your setup / versions / number of printqueues?
 >
 > I mailed to the Samba list several times about that already
 > but never received any response (well once I was adviced to
 > try SIGHUB, but that doesn't work either -- I really need to
 > stop and start smbd)... Plus I was noticing others asking
 > similar things (like you).
 >
 > Now *you* found it....
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Kurt