[Samba] nmblookup not honoring smb.conf?

Ronan Waide waider at waider.ie
Tue Nov 26 22:36:01 GMT 2002

On November 26, jerry at samba.org said:

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, adam morley wrote:
>
> > my problem is that while nmblookup is reading smb.conf (see attached
> > strace) its not honoring the name resolve order line and checking with
> > the wins server.  am i missing something obvious?
>
> Correct.  This is by design.  To query a WINS server use
>
> 	nmblookup -U <ip of wins server> -R <name to resolve>
>
> I think this is in the nmblookup man page.

Reminds me: is it also correct that nmbd ignores which address
it's supposed to listen on, and instead binds to 'em all? I prefer to
configure my services so that they're not visible on the
Internet-facing side of things even if my firewalling is broken, just
in case my firewalling gets broken somehow.

Cheers,
Waider.
--
waider at waider.ie / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.
"When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare