[Samba] Re: MS DFS and File Replication

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Tue Nov 26 22:01:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:11:38 +0000, alex wrote:

> The problem we've come accross is that once the DFS root has been
> created (hosted by a Win2k server), the primary SMB server can be added
> as a 'link' to the root (and the failover) (and the DFS link opened
> through a DFS client), however, when an attempt is made to configure the
> replication between the two links (rather the point of the whole
> exercise), Win2k is reporting that 'the RPC server is
> unavailable'...........and simply refuses to allow replication to be
> configured between the two SMB servers.

I've had a bit of a poke around at the win2k file replication and can tell
you that it's not supported under Samba at the moment because we don't
implement the particular RPC pipe that FRS uses.  FRS also uses a new type
of encryption (I think it's actually documented in a RFC somewhere -
hmac-brezak?) that Samba doesn't support yet either.

Jeremy and others are correct about rsync.  It doesn't support ACLs of any
sort although people have been interested in transfering POSIX (Linux,
Solaris) and NT ACLs for obvious reasons!

Tim.