[Samba] printer list from cups without restart?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue Nov 26 21:23:00 GMT 2002

> Message: 17
> Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:41:51 +0100
> From: Holger Krull <holger.krull at hermos.com>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] printer list from cups without restart?
>
> I found it.
>

> Holger Krull schrieb:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> while using cups as a print system and sharing all the printers with
>> samba to windows clients, is it possible to 'view' a newly created
>> printer in the browse list without restarting smbd ? (samba 2.2.7)
>>
>> Holger

Hi, Holger,

would you please share your secret with me?

How *do* you update the view onto printers from Windows clients
without restarting Samba?

For me it doesn't work since I noticed it a few months ago.
Before that, I didn't notice, because I re-started smbd very often
anyway (due to my experiments).

I am using a range of CUPS versions (up to current CVS)
and Samba up to 2.2.6. Windows clients are NT, 2K and XP
-- none of the combinations worked.

My "printcap" is updated immediately following the deletion
or creation of a printqueue (I have more than ~30 regularly
-- IIIRC I never tried it with a smaller number of queues...)

Even "rpcclient --> enumprinters" doesn't show an update...

What is your setup / versions / number of printqueues?

I mailed to the Samba list several times about that already
but never received any response (well once I was adviced to
try SIGHUB, but that doesn't work either -- I really need to
stop and start smbd)... Plus I was noticing others asking
similar things (like you).

Now *you* found it....

Cheers,
Kurt