[Samba] Access denied when trying to access printer

David Nelson dave at rsavings.net
Tue Nov 26 20:46:01 GMT 2002

I'm trying to set up a print server in a workgroup environment attaching to windows 2000 machines
the server seems to be able to write to public directories on the hard drive with no problem
but when I try to install the printers on the local machines
the printer I just set up under the printers folder is giving me the message
Access denied, unable to connect

the arguments I have set up under the printers option in the smb.conf are as follows

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = no
    printable = yes
    printer admin = root

also I have
 map to guest = BAD USER
in the [global] section of the smb.conf file

any ideas why the printer options on the server are giving me problems?

Dave