[Samba] Windows XP

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Nov 26 17:16:55 GMT 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Simon Chappell wrote:

> Hello all
> I am having trouble with Windows XP (serves you right I hear you say) and Samba in a Samba Domain.
> I join the windows XP system to the domain but after reboot it says that it cant find the domain.
> The windows 98 system is OK.
> When I look at the smbpasswd file the XP system is shown with a $ after its name.
> Can anyone point me in the right direction.
> My server is RH8. The version of samba is the version bundled with RH8.0.

You need to disable "RequiresSignorSeal" in the registry. If you check the
Samba source tarball, ~samba/docs/Registry/WinXP_SignOrSeal.reg is the
file you need to double-click on in XP to turn off this feature. The other
way is to use the Security editor to turn this off.

Following a reboot all should work.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra