[Samba] Very poor performance

Pat Schlehuber pat at schlehuber.net
Tue Nov 26 17:13:01 GMT 2002

Hardware/software setup:

SuSE 8.0 (Athlon XP 2000)
Samba 2.2.7 as PDC
(3) Win/XP client machines (Athlon XP 2000) (SignOrSeal installed)

I am having a terrible performance situation connecting my XP machine to
Samba. I receive the enter password prompt immediately, but it may take
10-15 minutes for the machine to start and many time never comes back. I
show no errors on the link via 'ipconfig eth0' command. FTP transfers
between these machines scream so I think it must be some type of netbios
issue. I replaced the NIC on the Samaba machine wth no change.
I see nothing unusual in the samba logs.

I physically moved the Samba server to a test network with 1 XP client. This
worked great, client logged on and started up in seconds.

I saw the same problem under Samba 2.2.3a, 2.2.6

The production network has Windows workgroup computers running Windows XP/98
on it using NetBeui. These machines are treated separate and should not be
involved. When I shut down all these NetBeui machines I see not change.

What I am trying to do is move my Windows workgroup environment to a
PDC/Samba environment. I need them to coexist during the migration.

findsmb shows the Samba as the Domain Master Browser and shows no Local
Domain Browsers.

I even tried setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\Main
tainServerList=No

 in the Client registry to keep them from trying to become the Local Master
Browser. -- no difference.

I have rambled a bit, but I am at my wits end. Can anyone think what I am
doing wrong?

Thanks much,
Pat