[Samba] problem with samba and a dos application

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Tue Nov 26 15:46:01 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 10:17, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> Would you mind to allow me a look in the smb.conf (in private email)? Maybe
> there is some difference ...

No problem but it might be better shared here as there are many who know
more than I.

In my clients smb.conf we use these options for the DOS share:

force create mode = 0777
force group = groupname
valid users = @groupname
dos filetimes = yes
level2 oplocks = no
oplocks = no

It works with oplocks (both) on as well but they do get a bunch of
oplock's breaks logged. I turned them off and they see no performance
difference so I left them off.
The particular product uses the btrieve engine.

> > Is the product designed to be network shared like this?
>
> The funny part about it is: I am trying to migrate a working setup where the
> "server" is MARS (nwe) (netware server simulation under linux) to samba,
> everything else identical. The same dos application is working fine with nwe
> "shares" and can be started several times without any troubles.

Netware was particularly good at serving up DOS applications. Better
than any version of Windows.

> > Does it work
> > correctly when the server is a Windows box?
>
> I can't tell, I have no windows server at hand currently.

You can use any Windows box, it doesn't need to be a server, for
testing. Just copy the files to a folder, share it and see if the other
clients can use it simultaneously.

> What can I do to find out exactly what filesystem actions are causing the
> troubles?

Might check the logs.