[Samba] RE: Samba newbie question...

peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Tue Nov 26 06:09:00 GMT 2002

>The Samba-Team wrote SWAT to opimise the smb.conf file for a reason. I
>believe that a configuration file is a poor place for system
>documentation, particularly if it can affect performance. This does not
>affect small sites but those with hundreds of MS Windows PC clients will
>notice a significant problem with unnecessarily large smb.conf files.
>
>So having said that, I am looking for input from people who have an
>opinion they wish to share. What is your wish list for SWAT? What new or
>improved functionality should SWAT offer to make Samba more usable?
>
>Lastly, I am looking for volunteers to help extend/change/improve SWAT.
>This week is SWAT week for me. Between Wednesday and Friday I hope to
>overhaul SWAT in the Samba-3.0.0 branch, I would ask for early responses.
>
>Please email comments back to this list, and offers to help with
>specifying and coding to me privately at jht at samba.org.
>
>I will summarize comments back to this list later this week.

Hi John, I don't actually use swat, so am not highly qualified to offer
suggestions.  Anyway, here's my two cents.  :-)

I would like to use a nice gui such as SWAT to manage my conf file, but don't
because I have heard that it changes the structure - ordering of parameters etc.
within the conf file, as well as removing comments.