[Samba] Dropped connections with Win98

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Tue Nov 26 01:24:00 GMT 2002

Hi all.

I have recently installed a Samba-2.2.7 as a PDC with LDAP backend.  All
works "as expected", with three exceptions:

1) Sometimes, the Win98/ME clients drop connections to the server
(persistent mapped shares cease to work).  This happens when the
computer has been left idle for a few minutes.  the deadtime parameter
is NOT set (i.e., it's at its default of 0, to disable the idle
connection closing by samba).

2) Printing is slow - it takes a while for a print job that has been
submitted to actually be produced (using CUPS as the printing mechanism,
the printer is connected to the PDC).  No real clue on this one, maybe
changing printing systems?  Maybe this is just normal behavior?

3) Sometimes, saving documents is slow (I'm guessing this is related to
#1).

I remember the dropped connections had something to do with LDAP timing
out the connections, thus killing the SMB process, but the "idletimeout"
setting in OpenLDAP is set to 0, which disables connection timeouts.

Anybody care to comment?

Best

Diego