[Samba] Can't start smb

george auchampaugh auchampa at nis.lanl.gov
Mon Nov 25 21:53:00 GMT 2002

HI,

I am running Red Hat 7.2 on a PC. Until today I have been able to start
smb. Now I am no longer able to start smb. When I start it with
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start it say OK. However, when I execute
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb status it says that smbd is stopped, but nmbd is
running. If I execute smbstatus it says "Failed to open byte range
locking database, Can't initialize locking module - exiting." If I look
in the  /var/log/samba/smbd.log  it says "lib/util_sock.c:
open_socket_in (824) bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0.0.0.0
(Address already in use).

I have recently worked on the audio card and modem. I'm not sure if smb
was working after installing modem.

What gives? How do I correct problem?

George