[Samba] Kerberos and smbmount

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 25 21:20:01 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 00:51, Antti Tikkanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been playing with the latest alpha (samba-3.0alpha20) for a while
> now trying to get Kerberos and smbmount working together to access shares
> on a Windows 2000 Server SP3.
>
> As I understand it, without modifications to the code this should not work
> at all. I tried to make a few changes, namely setting c->use_kerberos=True
> and commenting out c->use_spnego=False. I also had to comment out
> c->force_dos_errors=True.
>
> With these changes, smbmount sets up the connection with Kerberos just
> fine. I can see the mounted share, view and delete files and directories.
> What I cannot do is create new directories and files (Input/output error).
> Everything works when I disable my changes and use regular password
> authentication. Everything also works when I use smbclient and Kerberos.
>
> Is full Kerberos support going to be added to smbmount some time in the
> near future? I saw some earlier posts which indicated that this should be
> a rather trivial task. I guess something goes wrong with the error
> handling in my case?
>
> Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'm very interested that it works at all...

The main reason that smbmount didn't work with kerberos was that Win2k
would not allow an SPNEGO connection without NT error codes.  However,
smbfs doesn't (didn't?) support NT error codes.  Mixing this up could
certainly be the cause of the problems.

You should look at the 'cifs vfs'

http://www.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html

as Steve is hoping to do this soon.  I think the Urburn had some
experimental patches to do NT status, but I've not seen anything of it
recently.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org