[Samba] Samba newbie question...

Robert Adkins raa at impelind.com
Mon Nov 25 18:25:02 GMT 2002

John,

	It was initially confusing to see the smb.conf file drastically changed
from what I had been used to seeing when I opened it up in my favorite
CLI editor. To me, that was "mangled", I should have clarified that a bit
better.

	I do understand the need to have as small a smb.conf file as possible
for optimized performance. However, it was a spot annoying to skim
through the file and find things moved all around on me.

	Perhaps it is my dislike of having things optimized/configured/altered
without being asked. (Which is a big part of my dislike for MS Server and
Desktop products and I am sure that is something most other people
dislike too.)

	What I would really like to see is a button that states, "If you click
this, SWAT will optimize your smb.conf file. Doing so will alter the
appearance, placement of options and remove all notes and documentation
from the SWAT file. If you have already removed the documentation and
have structured the smb.conf file to your liking, you might not wish to
click this. Of course, doing so could quite possibly improve the
performance of your Samba install, especially if you have hundreds of
users."

	Having something like the above would be a very nice touch. I know that
it would have eased my mind to have known, or had a hand in optimizing my
smb.conf file. It just didn't sit right with me to see the file so
drastically altered from what I had seen previously.

	I haven't checked the wizard options in Samba 2.2.6 or 2.2.7. In at
least the 2.2.5 release of Samba, the only method I clearly saw to
configure a PDC was by manually editing the smb.conf file. Which isn't a
problem, however, it can be a little easier to see all of the PDC options
right there in front of you, within a GUI tool.

	I will be upgrading to Samba 2.2.7 very soon. I just need to perform
some testing to make sure that the transition will be very smooth for my
network. When I am able to focus on testing 2.2.7, I will take a look at
the wizard option and I will be able to offer some opinions.

	Sorry if I wasn't as clear as I could have been previously.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer
Impel Industries, Inc.