[Samba] Samba newbie question...

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Nov 25 17:27:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Robert Adkins wrote:

> John,
>
> 	One thing that I would love to see in Swat would be an area to configure
> a PDC and or a BDC (For another Samba PDC.)

Do you mean just to build an smb.conf file that will NOT be in use on the
machine you ran SWAT on?

Have you checked the Wizard option in samba-2.2.6/2.2.7? Opinions?
Recommendations?

> 	The only other thing that I would like to see is that SWAT leaves the
> smb.conf file in some kind of structured state. I was left with a working
> smb.conf file, but it was mangled and I had some issues with seeing where
> SWAT moved some of my settings.

Please help me to understand what you mean by "mangled" and "structured".

Have you used 'testparm' to validate you smb.conf file. It produces all
output in the internal structure SWAT will use to re-write the optimized
smb.conf file.

> 	All Domain related flags in one section (perhaps flagged DOMAIN
> Components)
>
> 	I really would just like to see all of the flags for a related section
> broken up from a looooong listing of all the flags and separated with
> some kind of identifier. (It doesn't have include documentation.) In
> fact, I removed all the documentation in the smb.conf file I created and
> just left the parts broken up in my own file.

Why is this needed? You can always use 'testparm' to output all options
and their settings. Why not keep smb.conf as a fully optimised file with
only settings that differ from the samba default?

> 	Perhaps SWAT could include a little check box to optimize the file,
> removing all non-essential text and putting everything into a single list
> and perhaps have another that will break up the list into logical
> sections. It makes it much easier for trouble-shooting from afar if you
> need to ssh into the server.

I understand what you are trying to do, why is this better than using
'testparm'?

I want to understand the thinking behind you suggestion, not criticize it.

Cheers,
John T.
---
John H Terpstra