[Samba] share rights

Mats Gustafsson mats.gustafsson at abc.se
Mon Nov 25 17:09:01 GMT 2002

I have successfully, by now, installed a samba server. I can log on from win98 and 95
computers. I can see the shares and use some of it.

There are a couple of shares

[Home]

[Document]

I can browse the share and a user, "Mats", can read and write copy and so on in
/home/Mats, so obviously the server recognizes the user as the Linux user with the
same name. (in smbusers  there is a Mats = Mats)

When trying to give rights to the document share things are worse:

I have tried

create mode = 640  (even 777)
directory mode = 755 and so on, but whatever I use, the user can not access the share,
just browse and see the files that root has laid there as an example.

Only if the file is manually manipulated by root with

chmod test.txt 666    it's possible to open and write through samba.

Also when looking at   log.smbd I can see:

"couldn't connect to service mats"

What does this mean and could there be a connection between the two problems. What
is to be done?

Mats Gustafsson

mats.gustafsson at abc.se