[Samba] W2k Clients using modified 'Shell Folders'/'User Shell Folders'...

Axel Schlueter axel at pqrs.de
Mon Nov 25 07:03:00 GMT 2002

Guilherme Cantisano wrote:

> On Sunday 24 November 2002 12:47, Axel Schlueter wrote:
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what do you want ?

I'll try to explain it a little more in depth. After running
samba as a PDC for NT4 and W2k clients for about a year
without any problems, the profiles of some users grew up to
80MByte counting (large files on the Desktop, large Browser
History etc.), resulting in a login process which takes alot of
time because of the windows clients copying the whole data to
their local drive (up to 15 minutes on slower NT4 machines).

To prevent profiles from getting too large I tried to change
the location of some special folders. According to documents
found on MSDN and on the net Windows reads the location of
these special folders from the registry keys HKCU/Software/
Microsoft/Windows/currentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders and
.../User Shell Folders.

So I created a ntconfig.pol via poledit with these registry
keys changed to a user's home folder instead of the user's
profile (my .adm file for poledit looks like this:

POLICY "Profile Location (Shell Folders)"
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders"
PART "AppData:"
     EDITTEXT
     VALUENAME "AppData"
     REQUIRED
     EXPANDABLETEXT
     DEFAULT "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\ntdata\Anwendungsdaten"
     END PART

PART "Local AppData: "
     EDITTEXT
     VALUENAME "Local AppData"
     REQUIRED
     EXPANDABLETEXT
     DEFAULT "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\ntdata\Lokale
Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten"
     END PART

This works as expected with the old NT4 clients, but it seems to
screw up W2k clients: After an inital login on a W2k client, which
works fine, all further logins are unsuccessful: The login process
starts fine with password validation, but stops very soon with a
userenv 1000 error message ('DETAIL - Fuer diesen Befehl ist nicht
genuegend Speicher verfuegbar', roughly translated: "Not enough
memory for this command"). After clicking OK, the login prompt
appears again.

Locking into the samba logfiles reveals something which looks
kinda strange to me:

luna.log:
  libsmb/credentials.c:cred_create(93) sess_key : 0000000000000000
  libsmb/credentials.c:cred_create(94) stor_cred: 0000000000000000
  rpc_server/srv_netlog.c:api_net_sam_logon(206):
    api_net_sam_logon: Failed to marshall NET_R_SAM_LOGON.
  rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:api_rpcTNP(1200)
    api_rpcTNP: api_netlog_rpc: NET_SAMLOGON failed.

While I'm not a samba developer knowing the internals, I doubt that
the session key should be empty like this. After some try'n'error,
I got the login process itself working (I had to remove the modified
pathes for 'Local AppData' and 'Local Settings'), but some programs
exposed VERY strange behaviour (The windows start button stops
displaying the start menu, the internet explorer doesn't show the
user's favorites etc).

As from what I read on MSDN, it's not unusual to modify the folder
settings in a W2k server enviroment, so I expected it to work with
samba, too. And this finally leads to my question: Had anybody
successfully modified the folder settings under '(User) Shell Folders' ?
Or this there another preferred way to stop profiles from growing too
large with samba ?

Thanks in advance,
Axel
--