[Samba] Samba newbie question...

daveman at bellatlantic.net daveman at bellatlantic.net
Sun Nov 24 17:54:00 GMT 2002

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 12:11:00PM -0500, Robert Adkins wrote:
> Dave,
>
> 	I believe that you should first ask what Windows 2000 Active Directory
> features you must have before seeing what Samba can do for you. You may
> find that you have little or no need for most of the features of AD.
>
> 	If all you are looking for is a server to provide you with file shares,
> domain authentication and printer sharing. Then Samba is perfect the way
> that it is. You can create and manage a number of user accounts and
> groups, control their access create quotas for users via the built-in
> Linux/UNIX tools on whatever OS you choose.
>
> 	If you say what features you are looking to emulate, I am certain that
> more then a few of us can give you the right answers or point you in the
> correct direction.
>
> Regards,
> Robert Adkins II
> IT Manager/Buyer
> Impel Industries, Inc.
> Ph. 586-254-5800
> Fx. 586-254-5804

I definitely want to do all of what you have mentioned. I don't specifically need too many directory features but I do want to be able to have a single, replicable database of user and machine accounts. The things I am particularly worried about are things like the NTLOGIN folder on the PDC, how to tell user accounts where to find their shared directories and mapped drives, how to actually make these changes when creating a new account with samba, how to deal with MS kerberos and SAMs, etc... Basically, I am a being cautious about actually replacing a very important machine in my infrastructure without first knowing EXACTLY what I am doing and what any shortcomings I will run into might be. A document that addresses issues such as these, from my perspective, would be INVALUABLE to someone looking to move a domain to samba control.

Perhaps what I am really looking for this time around is a book that actually addresses these issues since I do have so many questions. Alas, that is why I joined this list. ;-)

Thanks,
David Shepard