[Samba] Problem with SuSE 8.1 & Samba 2.2.5 PDC

Gareth Lapworth glapworth at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 24 12:17:00 GMT 2002

Hi All,

I am trying to set up samba simply as a standalone Primary Domain
Controller, but unfortunatley - for the last three days at least, it just
does not want to play!

i cannot find a problem in my smb.conf file and to proove that it works, i
can log into the samba server via the linux command line with smbclient.

The problem is the windows machines, when to go to log into the domain, i
get a message saying the password was rejected and to retry.  I'm starting
to pull all of my hair out, and i'm getting very frustrated.

The reason i am doing it this way is for a proof of concept, to make sure i
can get roaming profiles working the way i want to.

All help would be appreciated.

Gareth

Below is a copy of my smb.conf

[global]
    ; Basic Server Settings
    workgroup = sack
    netbios name = potato
    server string = Samba PDC Running %v
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192
    socket address = 192.168.0.1

    ; PDC & Master Browser Settings
    os level = 64
    preferred master = yes
    local master = yes
    domain master = yes

    ; Security & Logging Settings
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    domain logons = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    log level = 2
    max log size = 50
    hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0

    ; User Profiles & Home Directory
    logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile
    logon drive = H:
    logon script = netlogon.bat
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

    ; The add user script
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s
/bin/false -M %u

    ; Password Sync'in
    unix password sync = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
*Enter*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:
*all*authenic
ation*tokens*updated*successfully*

    ; Interface Settings
    interfaces = eth0