[Samba] Password woes...

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Sun Nov 24 04:11:01 GMT 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 22:54, Steve Morley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Moving up from 2.0.7 to 2.2.6 is taking it's toll, but I'm getting there...
>
> Right now I'm stuck on the smbpasswd stuff.  With 2.0.7 I don't maintain
> one (AFAIK).  All users have UNIX accounts on the old machine, and I'm porting
> over the passwd file to this new one.  I have no idea what their passwords
> are, and up till now, they simply change their UNIX passwd and SAMBA happily
> uses it.
it's fairly easy to keep the passwords in sync...
just set up samba to change the unix passwords with the "unix password
chat" stuff in smb.conf

use pam_smbpass to make pam update the samba password when the unix
password is updated.

you can script add the users with smbpasswd -a but they'll all have to
set their own passwords.

If you REALLY don't want users to have to do anything you could probably
crack the whole unix passwd database (if you're using cryped passwords)
in a week or two.

> Why can't I, or how do I do this with 2.2.6?

you must have been using unencrypted passwords...

I strongly suggest using encrypted passwords but i think it is still
possible to use unencrypted passwords (and no smbpasswd) with 2.2.7
I'm not sure about that, and I don't know how to do it.

brad
--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>