[Samba] profile problems with XP and my samba box

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Sat Nov 23 02:46:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 18:15, Unix Rookie wrote:
> --- "Bradley W. Langhorst" <brad at langhorst.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 09:36, Unix Rookie wrote:
> > >
> > > alright... before you guys nail the culprit as the reg issue... know that i
> > > applied the reg fix right up front.
> > are you sure it's applied to all the control sets?
> > check with regedit.
>
> Okay, i've checked all the control sets.... all of them have the sighnorseal
> value of 0.
>
> > > the system was working fine... i reinstalled XP last night.  i was able to
> > > connect to the PDC after the initial root login.
> > >
> > > however, now it seems that things are going all wrong.  i haven't changed
> > any
> > > settings on the samba server.
> > you gotta provide more details than this...
>
> what would you like to know?  the directory permissions on the samba server
> haven't been changed.  for some reason, i cannot browse my shared samba drive.
> he'll i can't see the samba server in network neighborhood.
>
> > > another thing i've noticed is that i cannot connect to the shared samba
> > drive
> > > for the user i login with.
> > error messages? logs?
> >
> > brad
>
> these are the winxp errors shown in eventlog:
>
> Event Type:	Warning
> Event Source:	Userenv
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	1525
> Date:		11/22/2002
> Time:		3:06:04 PM
> User:		HOME\sameer
> Computer:	blah
> Windows has detected that Offline Caching is enabled on the Roaming Profile
> share - to avoid potential profile corruption, Offline Caching must be disabled
> on shares where roaming user profiles are stored.
you can turn this off by putting
        csc policy = disable
        share modes = No
in your profiles share
it's not the source of your problem

> Event Type:	Error
> Event Source:	Userenv
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	1504
> Date:		11/22/2002
> Time:		7:29:18 AM
> User:		HOME\sameer
> Computer:	blah
> Windows cannot update your roaming profile. Possible causes of this error
> include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem
> persists, contact your network administrator.
>
>  DETAIL - The network path was not found.
not much info from this error

> what more would you like to see?  is there anything in particular you want to
> see from the log.smbd or log.nmbd or even the xp box samba log file?
i don't really want to see log.smbd but it is something that you should
look at to see why your login fails.  If you can't figure it out you
could post them here.

you might consider breaking up your logs by machine with something like
this
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd.%m
in your smb.conf file

also use log level 2 or so to start diagnosing your problem.

make sure you've followed the directions in the howto collection
carefully.

best wishes

brad

--