[Samba] samba 2.2.7, Solaris 8 & 64-bit mode

Jon Allingham jallingham at LEAPSTONE.com
Fri Nov 22 19:59:08 GMT 2002

I've been running Samba on Solaris 8 pretty successfully, but (like many
others) have the 255 FD limit problem with ClearCase so I'm trying to
get  it to work in 64 bit mode.

I've experimented with Compiling in 64-bit mode rather using Forte 6.2,
however although basic operations with smbd/nmbd/smbclient seem to work,
swat crashes when compiled that way (when I try to access mymachine:901
I simply get back "no data to display" with the 64bit version of swat.

Because of this, I'm somewhat reluctant to put the 64-bit version into
production as I'm concerned about the overall stability. Earlier
versions (2.2.4 I think) when I tried this, smbd seemed to poof away
more often, although it was unclear what impact it had.

Has anyone else succeeded in compiling Samba in 64-bit mode with Forte?

For reference, I added: CFLAGS=-xarch=v9a when I ran the configure
command and the compile seemed to go well, although there were the usual
warnings that I also get in 32-biit mode.

To experiment, I tried installing the 32bit swat leaving everything else
64=bit, which sort of works - it properly manages the smb.conf file, but
isn't able to do any process monitoring.

smbclient seems to work ok, as does smbstatus.

Log files don't provide any insight. I get an occasional

	[2002/11/21 17:21:38, 0] nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:(235)
	  find_response_record: response packet id 22634 received with
no 	  matching record.

But I got that earlier sometimes to.

--
Jon Allingham