[Samba] Copied file becomes infinately large

Colin Davis ColinD at traininghott.com
Fri Nov 22 18:17:53 GMT 2002

I'm trying to back-up a set of windows machines onto a single Linux
machine, so that I can easily make a tape from there.

The Linux Machine (RedHat 7.3, running samba 2.2.6), is set to use
mount.smbfs to log in to each machine's Administrative share, and copy
several files from the hard drive.

One machine is giving me a great deal of difficulty, however.
Our last remaining window's fileserver (the rest have been converted),
makes a backup of it'self every night, and stores it on the F: drive.
This is easily completed in an hour or so.

On the Linux machine, it is set to try to log in to the fileserver, and
copy the file, every morning at 11:30am. The file (FullBackup.bcf) is
7.1 gig on the windows machine, but, left to it's own devices, Samba
never stops copying it.. The file grows until it fills the entire
filesystem!

   mkdir /mnt/bkp/BackupServer >> /etc/sambalog 2>&1
   mkdir /mnt/bkp/BackupServer/BackupDir >> \etc\sambalog 2>&1
   cp -R -u /mnt/smb/folder /mnt/bkp/BackupServer/BackupDir

Does anyone have any suggestions to why this might be happening?
I'm really at a loss.. It happens no matter what filesystem I give the
destination disk, so I think it must be an issue during the copy..

Colin