[Samba] smbclient: support for long share names..?

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Fri Nov 22 18:14:10 GMT 2002

I believe the 13 character name was a non-unicode limit. smbclient
does not support unicode yet.

Diana McKenna wrote:

> If no one has any further information on this, I'll submit this as a bug.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Diana
>
> At 03:07 PM 11/19/2002 11/19/2002, John Benedetto wrote:
> >I thought the 13 character limit was a 'feature' of NT, and thus Samba
> >reflects that "feature", too... anyone know?
> >
> >--On Tuesday, November 19, 2002 4:56 PM -0500 Diana McKenna
> ><dmckenna at mathworks.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Hello All,
> >>
> >>If I create a 13 char long share on a filer or a windows workstation (a
> >>windows 2000 workstation for example) and then run sbmclient to list the
> >>shares on that system smbclient will not list any shares greater than 12
> >>chars long.  I can see and access the long share name on my windows 2000
> >>system and I can see it on the system where the share was created but
> >>smbclient will not list it.
>
> --

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D