[Samba] "hiding" and "vetoing" files (for Samba 2.2.2 & Windows Explorer)

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Fri Nov 22 08:26:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 12:27:59PM -0800, Darin DeCounter wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> When our users sign onto the network first thing in the morning, they're
> authenticated through our NT-PDC.  Once authenticated, their login script
> maps all 3 shares (via the "net use" command).  They need these shares to
> remain mapped so they can use their application to do their work...so they
> have to be "valid users".  We just need to find a way to keep them from
> seeing the shares and/or their content when in Windows
> Explorer.    Browsable is set to "no" for all shares and we've also tried
> with & without hide/veto file option with no success.

Do you have a chance to get a newer samba version. I use those parameters some
days ago in an school environment, so i know they work correct.

You have really no chance to make a differnece between good applications like
"word processors" and bad apps like windows explorer. If you need acces with
good apps, than your bad apps has also.

--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de