[Samba] getent output corrupt ?

Peter Zutenis zutenis at au1.ibm.com
Fri Nov 22 06:19:09 GMT 2002

Hi All,

I am currently in the middle of setting up a samba server to provide file
and print services within an NT Domain. I have samba 2.2.7 running on
redhat 8

I have a problem with the output of the getent command. The out put of this
command appears corrupted, and I am not sure if this is affecting the the
behaviour of how users connect.

wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g appear to be functioning ok.

Here is the the last few lines of output from getent passwd:

nfsnobody:x:65534:65534:Anonymous NFS User:/var/lib/nfs:/sbin/nologin
pcap:x:77:77::/var/arpwatch:/sbin/nologin
xfs:x:43:43:X Font Server:/etc/X11/fs:/sbin/nologin
named:x:25:25:Named:/var/named:/sbin/nologin
apache:x:48:48:Apache:/var/www:/sbin/nologin
zutenis:x:500:500::/home/zutenis:/bin/bash
ÐRESDOM\Administrator::0:1000:è::
::0:1001:è::
::0:1002:è::
::0:1003:è::
::0:1004:è::
::0:1005:é::
::0:1006:é::

As you can see the the unix entries are ok, but the NT Domain entries do
seem to be corrupted. getent group also seems to be similarily affected.

Output of wbinfo -u shows:

[root at vmlinux1 samba]# wbinfo -u
MASTERDOM\Administrator
MASTERDOM\Guest
MASTERDOM\master
RESDOM\Administrator
RESDOM\Guest
RESDOM\mnewman
RESDOM\test
RESDOM\zutenis
[root at vmlinux1 samba]#

This output seems correct.

winbind seems ok . I have changed /etc/nsswitch.conf to use winbind. s

Any ideas ?

Best Regards,

Peter Z

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand."
-- Putt's Law