[Samba] smbclient connection problem from MVS to Windows suspect EBCDIC to ASCII conversion problem

tom brown tmcb1971 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 21 22:08:00 GMT 2002

Hi,
I have reciently been attempting to connect an OS\390
system to a windows file server using the smbclient
program that is part of the MVS port of samba.
The problem I have encountered is this.  When I try to
connect from MVS to windows without a password I can
connect with no problem at all.  Files transfer fine
and the encoding is fine.
However the moment that i put a password on the share
the connection no longer works, even though excatly
the same command line from a UNIX box will connect
with no errors.
I'm not in front of the machine at the moment but the
error that I see implies that soem systems require all
UPPER CASE passwords and service specifications.
I thought that this might be a password mangling issue
created by the transformation of EBCDIC characters
into ASCII.  SO I set about installing L0phtcrack on
the target server in order that I might capture the
incoming crededtials. I then set the password on the
share to "PASSWORD" (chosen to be easy to crack), and
"hey presto" when I run the test the crack fails which
I think back's up the theory about this being a
translation issue.
I have looked into the source code of clientutils.c on
the MVS system (version 1.9.19 I think), and note that
in the code there are comments that imply that the
smbclient might never have been tested from MVS to
Windows.
Can anybody help?  I wonder what is the latest version
that has been tested on MVS, or if anybody on the list
has any experience with smbclient on MVS.
Thanks for your time.
tom brown